> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > clay tile basement foundation
Login | Register

clay tile basement foundation

Posted by Ellen on February 19th, 2003 06:37 PM
In reply to wet basement block by gh on April 19th, 2002 05:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have red clay tile walls in my basement covered over in cement. Unfortunately I haven't kept them painted or sealed over the years.

I also have shelves around the back 1/2 half of the house but the old neighbor did not indicate that part of the basement being added or dug later.

Some of the cement and prior paint is flaking and cracking off. There is also dampness now and mold on the walls. Our neighborhood did not put drain tiles in when these homes were built on clay dirt about 80 year ago. I have also seen chipmunks around my foundation.

note -I watched the glass block window installers fill in around the windows with a silicon cement that really did a nice job.

Here is what my plan is - scrap the walls down with a shovel and wire brush, bleach the walls, fill in and smooth out the walls with the silicon sand cement mixture and then seal the walls with some sort of white paint or sealer.

My family may try to level out the yard this summer and add drain tile for me.

I have been made to feel stressed and a little paniced over this situation. I sure could use some help and encouragement.

Thanks, Ellen

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC