> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Clarify...
Login | Register

Posted by Jim -ATS on March 28th, 2000 11:48 AM
In reply to knotty pine by Randy Brisbois on March 28th, 2000 05:56 AM [Go to top of thread]

I'm not sure if you mean to install the pine on the inside or the outside of your enclosure, so let me give you the layers real quick...

from the inside out...

Drywall (These two could be paneling, tile, pine siding, etc...)
4-6 mil poly sheeting (vapor barrier)
Insulation and studs
Exterior rated sheathing (recommended, required in many cases for shear loads)
Breathable house wrap (Tyvex) keeps water out, lets condensed moisture breathe out of the wall

As far as the material itself, inside or out, you shouldn't just pick up pine boards. Choose a pine siding that has been rated and milled for siding. With any luck, you will choose a siding that is milled to lock into the layer below, so you don't have to face nail the bottom half of the siding. Otherwise, it's a matter of face nailing the top of the siding where it will be covered by the next row, and face nailing the bottom half of the face to keep it secure to the building. It is critical to keep every row absolutely level all the way around the structure. I find it helps to do the entire row corner to corner with minimal nailing until you know you are in good shape, then finish nailing off the row. You may find a pneumatic nailer or stapler would be helpful, depending on the size of the job.

I am not a professional sider, so don't just settle for this post. If no one else steps forward, read some books, look at installation techniques on video, even take the risk of asking the guy who will sell the material to you. He will actually know a lot on the topic in most cases.

Good luck and have fun!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC