> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Clarification, hopefully!
Login | Register

Clarification, hopefully!

Posted by Jason on April 15th, 2002 08:24 PM
In reply to waste the 3 feet and install the lattice with 4 foot seams ? by Q on April 14th, 2002 11:43 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Greetings Q,

If the deck was 5 feet high, I would install the lattice verticaly. The reason being that I would not want any horizontal seams. The lattice is 4 feet wide so, every 4 feet there would be a vertical seam. I would use a vinyl "H" channel to cover the seam.

This is personal preference. I would prefer to see vertical lines to give the deck an appearance of height. This means that you will probably have to waste 3 feet of every section.

I would measure the width of the area, (or run), under the deck, determine the middle and decide if I was going to butt two 4 foot sections at the middle or start with the first section centerd. This would depend on how much area I would have left on the ends.

I would use aluminum, (or stainless), fasteners so there would be no rust.

Recap.. vinyl lattice, vinyl H connectors, and rust free fasteners = a rot free, stain free, and maintainace free job.

Almost anyone can build a deck but, as you have probably read in post by my compadres, proper planning, good materials, and pride, make the difference.

I hope this helped.

Now, where the advice comes from,

I was brought up in the Home Improvement trade and had my own company for quite some time until
it was either that or my family.

I became a Building Inspector and now I'm a Zoning Officer and Housing Code Inspector. So, I have seen more ways to do things than the average contractor. Some were wrong, some were dangerous, and some were pretty scary!

Thank you for the kind words.

Best wishes,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC