> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Clarification ...
Login | Register

Clarification ...

Posted by Jay J on March 6th, 1998 06:22 PM
In reply to concrete driveways by Rob Dykeman on March 6th, 1998 05:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

Not to be picky but I didn't say, "Concrete would fail in cold and/or extreme temperatures". What I said was, "[Asphalt driveways] settle better [than concrete driveways] due to the extremes in temperature over the course of a year.' (I really should have said, "... over the course of a few years." And what I meant by that is, even in the extreme of temperatures, asphalt will still settle (flex, expand, contract, etc., etc.). Heck, if our 'driveways' were bedded like the highways and by-ways, then we wouldn't need to have them topped or re-laid all together every 10, 15, 20 years. And try to get the same quality top on your driveway that they use in the streets, concrete or asphalt. Supplies will laugh at you. Not only does the highway bed have to be done right, you've also got to use the right top as well. The 2 go hand-in-hand. You already know that; I'm just agreeing with you.

I'm not gonna beat this one up. I could tell you that had my driveway been concrete, it would be a war zone in a very short number of years. Sure, if you want to pay the money for quality concrete, it's out there. I have a 72' driveway, and about 32' of it has a 6' rise in it. The last 15' of it is flat. You race the truck up the hill, then slam on the brakes as you pop over the top. I don' know of any highway with an angle like that as a roadbed. I can envision my driveway slipping into the street if it were concrete. I went with asphalt. For me, it was a better choice. It's a competitive market out there, and after that, it's up to the homeowner. You're not the kind of guy I'd care to debate with over concrete because it's in your blood. You made your point, and a good one at that. Thanks much for the clarification. I'd be interested in hearing the same type of 'response' from an asphalt contractor and let you go head-to-head with him. I'm not selling either; I'm just offering the original Poster some personal experiences of mine and what things I might do to help decide which driveway he should choose. My best to ya', and thanks again.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC