> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > clarification
Login | Register

Posted by Bruce M on January 25th, 1998 12:12 AM
In reply to Just one more thing.... by Andy Green on January 23rd, 1998 04:14 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi again Andy:

Glad my electrons got all the way around the world! Modern technology....whew.....:-)

The purpose for putting your starter course shingles upside down is because otherwise there would be nothing underneath the small space between the tabs of your first course except the felt paper, which would eventually deteriorate and you'd have nasty roof leaks. If you go to your roof and put down some shingles you will see what I mean.

I don't glue down the rake molding, only nail it down...but I glue down (with plastic roofing cement) the felt paper over the top of it and then the edge of the shingle over that. The reason for this is simply that when you reroof, the old edge will cleanly come off all at once, whereas if the rake were glued down, you'd have a heck of a time getting it off the roof deck and may even destroy the roof deck edge trying to get it off.

Hope this makes sense. Feel free to 'e' me directly if you have any other questions.

best wishes

Bruce M (my great grand daddy immigrated from Scotland!)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC