> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Cistern
Login | Register


Posted by Henry in MI on April 10th, 2000 09:14 PM
In reply to Henry would know this one... by Jim -ATS on April 10th, 2000 08:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

This sure sounds like a rainwater cistern to me, but without tracing the piping, it is impossible to tell. My guess is that the 1-1/2" pipe is connected to a downspout to collect the water from the roof. The rest of the piping is an overflow system to get excess water to a weep field. But I stress that you don't know for sure unless you follow the piping.

You might check with some of the plumbing supply houses in your area to see if anyone remembers or has seen similar systems. It doesn't seem surprising that it is not on any maps since I don't think that you would have had to pull a permit for a rainwater cistern in 1970 in most locations any more that you would have to for a french drain today.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC