My husband and I bought a lovely home last year that has a chimney that services two separate fireplaces. The upstairs (main level) fireplace has gas logs. The basement (recreation room) has a fireplace in which we had hopes of using wood. The chimney is routed where the main level draws straight up and this is no problem. The lower level is routed around the main level. We have checked for obstruction, but it is as clean as a whistle. However, when we start a fire, we get a lot of smoke in the house. The damper is open and we can not understand why it won't draw properly, even routed this way. Do you have any suggestions. The house is actually three levels, basement level, main level and second floor. The house has a nice stone chimney which goes to the top of the house, on the south side. The house is a modified cape cod type, without dormers, built in the 1950's. Is there a fan or anything we could use to route the smoke out. Previous homeowner states he had the same problem, never could get it to draw right.