> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Chimney-Fixed it all and always fixed the wrong thing. HELP PLEASE
Login | Register

Chimney-Fixed it all and always fixed the wrong thing. HELP PLEASE

Posted by Will on May 18th, 2001 09:57 AM

Fixed everything relating to a leak and nothing eliminated the problem.
Initial Problem
-Water stain marks on drywall along top of cathedral ceiling where drywall abuts the chimney within the house.
-In addition water damage near the bottom of the cathedral ceiling where the dining room and kitchen arch is between the two rooms.
-And inside the house the chimney morter became wet and moist looking during heavy rains.

Bought the house and my roof leaked. I put on a new roof over the existing roof.
This did nothing to improve the situation. I then repointed the chimney, and had waterproofing sprayed on by a contractor.
This only helped reduce the wet/moisture problem on the morter inside the house. But did not really reduce the small leak during heavy rains.
I them put on a chimney cap. This help a little more.
But with all I have done I still have a small drip leak during heavy rains.
Especially when the rain is very intense and raining almost sideways due to heavy accompanying winds.
I'm beginning to wonder if during heavy rain, if the rain blowing sideways is able to get under the chimney cap and run down the inside of the chimney, penetrate the morter from the inside of the chimney and then run down doing the damage within the house.
The only thing that I haven't done is something (some repair) on the inside of the chimney.

Is this the likely problem? I can't afford any additional expense repairing the wrong thing.
Does anyone know what I can or should do?
Could the morter inside the chimney also be bad (in need of repointing)?
If it is the inside of the chimney -what kind of problem am I facing?
Would they need to remove part of the top of the chimney and do costly repair?
What type of work would be needed and any idea as to the cost?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC