> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Change orders
Login | Register

Change orders

Posted by Thomas M on January 3rd, 1999 02:23 AM
In reply to Bad Contrator by Frank Edwards on January 2nd, 1999 09:04 PM [Go to top of thread]

This is a hairy situation and w/out knowing the fine print on the contract,however having some experience w/contracts I can offer you some info..yes in good faith and fairness a contractor should usually present you w/a "change order",changes made or unanticipated work from the original contract.However if in your contract it was stipulated that if unwelcome and unexpected work arose "you" were responsible,well then it is binding.However look for wording in your copy of the contract regarding "change orders".If it states all changes and deviations must be approved by the "Owner"..he violated the Contract.I know myself from experience sometimes unexpected work is necessary to complete the job,for example if your drywalling a kitchen wall and you find out the framing is rotted..if the contractor sticks per se to the contract and drywalls over the rotted framing,he will undoubtedly recieve a call back at some later date..however I've realized if you want to get paid you must pass all work by the Homeowner..I'm sorry it came to this..unfortunately many in my field are very skilled w/their hands but don't know how to communicate..hope it all ends well..

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC