> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Chair Rails Problems in Basement
Login | Register

Chair Rails Problems in Basement

Posted by Darren on November 30th, 2002 10:07 PM

I'm upgrading my wallcovering on an already finished 750 sq. ft. basement. I'm trying to install a chair rails at 36" with paint above and wallpaper below. The painting and papering is all done and I'm happy with it. The paper design is a plaid which has exposed all the flaws in the original finish (untrue corners, crooked door molding, etc). For the most part, I was able to keep the plaid level with the baseboards and I was lucky that most of the flaws ended up in inconspicuous areas. But my next step is the chairrails. I bought a fairly basic 2" pine molding (5/16" think). I was warned not to simply miter at 45 or I would end up with gaps in almost every corner. I only have a box saw that cuts at 45, so I read up on coping. I bought a coping saw, but the profile has very tiny manuveurs that I just can't seem to cut cleanly (I had three pathetic attempts). So I'm looking for an alternative. I considered decorative corner pieces that I could just place in the corner and flush the molding against it, but I've never seen this on chair rails, plus I still would have some small jogs that wouldn't get those, and some outside corners to deal with. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? Thanks!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC