> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Chair Rail ...
Login | Register

Chair Rail ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 15th, 2001 09:48 AM
In reply to molding at junction of different wall thicknesses by Charlie on March 15th, 2001 08:34 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Charlie,

If you're talking about a dining room, Chair Rails are used to 'cover' this junction. Granted, the Rail's 'width' will 'govern' how much of the joint it will cover. In other words, if you want to use a 2-3/4" wide Rail but your joint varies too much (say, from a level height of 3"), you'll need a rail that's at LEAST 3-1/4" in width. See what I mean?

Hopefully, the 'joint' is either flush or equally 'off-mark'. If it's the latter (which is OK), then you'll need to crown the Rail, that's all. If the joint is 'wavey', it could be tough to make/install a Rail to conceal that imperfection.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Your Home Centers and Lumber Yards have TONS of Rails to choose from ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC