> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ceiling fan/light - works, but not via the wall switch?
Login | Register

Ceiling fan/light - works, but not via the wall switch?

Posted by cwb on November 20th, 2000 04:09 AM

I'm not an electrician. I typically follow instructions, and if there are any deviations, I go ask. Here is the deal on my ceiling fan installation.

It is a fan/light combo. There is a black and a white wire which powers the fan. If you utilize the optional light feature, there is a blue wire provided. Instructions say black-to-black, white-to-white and if you want to power the light option, twist the blue in with the black connection.

Fine - the fan turns on/off with the pull chain. The light turns on/off with the pull chain. The wall switch has absolutely no effect. The only explanation is the mysterious red wire. Dropping out of the box mounted in the ceiling, there is a black, white, red, and ground wire. The black and white and ground were covered in the instructions. Logic dictates that this red wire is the source of my problem. The instrucions make no provisions for this red wire, even though they say that this model works with a wall switch and even with the dual switch for light/fan combo.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms (ie, black to black...) how this should go so that I can walk in the room and hit the wall switch and get light without having to use the chain? I'll use the chain to control the fan.

Thanks in advance!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC