> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ceiling Fan Light: Please Help
Login | Register

Ceiling Fan Light: Please Help

Posted by patrick on October 11th, 1999 11:56 AM

Please help. I bought a ceiling fan light for an existing fan in our family room and I can not get it to work. I tested the lights from a nearby socket and they work. The instructions say to hook the white wire from the light to the white wire coming from the fan. Then connect the black wire from the light to the blue wire coming from the fan. Problem: (no blue wire to use)when I opened the fan to attach the light the only unused wires hanging down were black and white. There was a silver tag on the wires noting to use these two wires for the lighting kit. So I attached the black to black and the white to the white. I turned the switch and pulled the chain for the light(light did not come on). Pulled fan chain (fan still works). When hooking up the light I noticed a blue wire coming from the fan and it heads to the revese switch and then another smaller blue wire operates the the fan chain. I thought of disconnecting the wire that goes to the reverse switch and using it in place of the black wire, but I did not want to risk ruining the fan. I did not install the fan and I am not sure if the builder did or the previous owner did. Could my wiring be wrong? I did not test the black and white wires for current yet, but if they are dead what can I do? Please help. I know this is a straight forward process but somehow I am turning it into an all day affair. Thanks in advance.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC