> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ceiling Fan & Upgrading Wiring
Login | Register

Ceiling Fan & Upgrading Wiring

Posted by Dave Bless on June 16th, 2000 12:16 PM

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

I've just installed a new ceiling fan in place of a previously existing fixture. Everything works but due to the fact that it's run off of a single switch, I have to turn it on at the switch and operate the chain switches on the fan to cycle between the light, fan or both. I'd like to upgrade my wiring to have two switches at on the wall, one for the fan, one for the light. The current single switch has only a black and white wire going to the ceiling box.

1) Do I need to install a new box on the wall for the double switch? I've heard of a gang switch that groups two switches onto the space normally used for a single switch. If not available, what's the best way to install a "double box"? Do I need to rip out some drywall to get at the nails holding the single box to the stud, then replace with the double box?

2) I know I need a third wire at the ceiling fixture. Should I replace the 2-wire sheathed electrical cable with 3-wire, or can (should) I just run a seperate third wire from the wall switch box to the ceiling box? If yes, what gauge wire?

3) How do I wire the switch box?

4) What have I missed?

I prefer not to burn my house down so I thought I'd ask some of the "experts". Thanks in advance for any help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC