> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ceiling Fan
Login | Register

Ceiling Fan

Posted by Christopher on October 30th, 1999 08:32 PM
In reply to Ceiling fan by G.S. on October 27th, 1999 06:21 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hello G.S.

First let me ask you do these fans operate on wall switches or pull chains?
If they operate on wall switches, how many are there? To have the fan and the light operate independently you have to have two switches of somekind .... I usually install a fan speed control switch for the fan and a dimmer for the light.
If there is only one switch most likely this switch is acting like a master switch and the fan will only work when in the on position thus supplying power to the fan.
If you have only pullchains to operate this fan it is certain that is a wiring problem. There is a black wire for the fan and usually a blue or black wire with a stripe on it for the light. If you don't have the proper amount of conductors ( wires ) in the ceiling for a two switch operation then both the black wire and the blue or black striped wire should be connected to the black wire in the ceiling box and then the white of the fan to the white of the ceiling box. If this wiring configuration is done properly and the fan still works as you described (light can only be turned on while fan is spinning) then I would say there is a problem internally of the fan and should be returned or exchanged.
If you have any other question please post them here and CC email me at I'll be glad to help anyway I can.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC