> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ceiling drywall - questionable repair
Login | Register

Ceiling drywall - questionable repair

Posted by Mike on February 10th, 2003 10:17 PM

I've posted a few times on the board, and your help has been tremendous.

I ran into something I'm not sure how to handle. I was stripping more of the ceiling texture this afternoon and removed some loose tape. What I found was that a hole in the ceiling had been repaired. The patched hole is about the size of a large receptacle box. It looks like there had been a light fixture there at one point and it was removed. There is currently a light fixture a few feet away from the repaired hole, so I guess they decided to relocate it. The drywall around the patch was crumbling and loose.

To patch holes in walls, I've been using pre-made patches sold at the home improvement store. These patches consist of a piece of perforated aluminum with fiberglass mesh bonded to it. These work great on larger holes.

In the past, I've always applied these to painted walls. The largest patch will cover the hole completely and is large enough that the metal portion will span solid drywall. I like the idea of using one of these patches on the roof, because I can avoid messing with insulation in the attic.

Should I primer around the hole, then apply the adhesive patch to the primered surface? Or will this patch stick OK to the bare paper? The largest patch is about $6, so I don't want to waste one on bare wall if it won't stick.

Thanks for you help.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC