> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Ceiling drywall question
Login | Register

Ceiling drywall question

Posted by Mike on February 10th, 2003 10:47 AM

I posted a few days earlier regarding the removal of the popcorn ceiling texture. I just wanted to say I followed directions obtained here and the removal went great.

How I have a couple of questions regarding preparation and repair.

1) When scraping the softened popcorn, I nicked the surface of the drywall in a few places. I did not gouge the surface, but I did peel the surface of the paper back. I can see darker brown spots, so I didn't penetrate the paper entirely. Should I touch up these spots with primer before skimming over with a little fresh drywall mud? Or should I just skim lightly over the spots with any type of surface prep?

2) I stripped the ceiling because the tape was coming loose. I have now removed the old tape. Do I need to sand most of the old mud off that was under the tape before I apply fresh drywall mud? The previously applied drywall mud under the tape was patchy and was not uniform. I think it was put on dry and was not very thick. Is there any type of surface prep I should perform (primer, etc?) before putting new tape. Is standard drywall mud the best product to use? I know to wet the paper tape and apply a layer of mud underneath the tape.

3) I think I asked this question already, but I can't remember. Should I be using the standard paper tape or the fiberglass mesh? On the walls, I have been using paper tape, which I trim off 1/4" so it fits within the groove I took it out of.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC