> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > category 5 wiring
Login | Register

category 5 wiring

Posted by jb on June 27th, 2000 11:57 AM
In reply to category 5 wiring by R McDonald on June 25th, 2000 10:04 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, I have a small home network (2 pc's) with cat5 and and ethernet hub. I like it, and since I already have it, it is cheaper to use it to expand my network in the future than to purchase a new wireless network system (see link below). I put some wires in the attic and brought them down inside the rooms in a closet and snaked them around to the computer. This is not so hot and it is only temporary. What I am doing now is putting a large 2 floor addition on my house that will be a family room downstairs and a master suite upstairs. I am having the contractor put in cable tv outlet boxes and I am going to run my own category 5 wires to each of them. You can buy the stuff by the spool and just "home run" them all to a common spot like a basement, closet, or attic. That is where you put your hub or router and all of the computers go back to one spot. Once you have run your wires you can forget about them until you need them. Hopefully you labeled which were which but even if you didn't you just need a cheap tester to figure it out. When you need one you just go to your kit that you bought that has the "ends" in it and a tool for helping you attach them. Spend the extra $20 and get a tester to plug in into that confirms that all the pins work on your ends. By putting your own ends on you get the exact lengths you need, the cable is cheaper in the rolls, you can put one in each wall and you only need to put ends on the ones you use, and you don't damage pre-done ends during your wiring etc. There are ways of putting them in series but I like the other way. This makes sense for new construction. It doesn't always make sense for existing homes. If you have a one story house with an unfinished basement, fine, you can just run your wires under your first floor and drill up through wherever you need a pc. Otherwise, with existing house you are much better off with one of the new "wiz-bang" wireless solutions. I am purchasing one for my father right now. He wants to use his fast cable modem connection on his laptop out on the deck or up in bed. Right now he can only see it on his one pc. The new wireless systems are relatively inexpensive and they work great. This is the best one:,6755,392827,00.html
Here are some others:,4161,2226069,00.html

good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC