> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Carpeting and Paint
Login | Register

Carpeting and Paint

Posted by BobB on May 23rd, 2001 09:11 AM
In reply to painting conditions by Kerry on May 22nd, 2001 05:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

This is a judgement call, and I don't want to disagree with the other experts here, but there is another thing to consider. Recently I have had carpet installers request that I not finish paint before installing the carpet. Their reason was that when fitting wall to wall carpet, the installer will "lap" it up onto the wall some , before trimming. The backing from carpet, especially stiff backed carpets like Berber will be like sandpaper to fresh paint, and inevitably mar the paint, at least on the baseboard. Also when struggling with the big heavy rolls of carpet, it is not unusual to bump the wall in at least one spot. This can be upsetting to a homeowner who has taken the time to do a good job painting their room. If you accept the inevitable need to go back in after the carpet is installed and touch up the marred areas, then this is a good way to go ( that is what I did ) If you are a perfectionist, and don't want the slightly noticeable touch up spots; then wait till the carpet is in and carefully cover it completely with plastic.
Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC