The hot iron, paper towel trick works. One of my christmas candles caught on fire tonight, our smoke alarm went off, my husband blew the candle out, picked up the dish and ran with it to the sink. While doing so poured the hot wax all over his sweatshirt, jeans and light gray burber carpet.
Plug in your iron, set at low temp get some white paper towels and press each wax mark. The iron will melt the wax and the towel will absorbe the melted wax. It even came out of his sweatshirt and jeans. We were really blessed that we didn't have more damage.