> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Carpet Strips
Login | Register

Carpet Strips

Posted by Fred in TX on June 5th, 2000 09:22 AM
In reply to ripping up old carpet by gini on June 4th, 2000 05:07 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Gini, I've been doing the same thing. Those nails in carpet strips seem to hold better than any nail I've run accross. The first thing I had to realize was that that nail has already damaged the floor, AND It's just far enough out so the quarter round won't hide it. I sharpened one of those pry bars (about one and half ft. long) on the inside of the curved end (not the right angle end). Then I put about four layers of duct tape starting about two inches up from the sharpened curved end (on the outside of the curve) to protect the floor. Then I used the hammer to get under them. I think these strips were made by the devil. Getting rid of them after you get them out is a pain too. The advantage I have is that we are going to re-finish the floors so the pry bar damage is nothing compared to the nail holes. I don't know what type of flooring you have but we have narrow and thin maple that tends to come up, sometimes, when we're prying. When that happens I use another pry bar. Good luck, I hope you don't have to much of it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC