> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > carpet ghosting problem
Login | Register

carpet ghosting problem

Posted by S A McCaskill on June 4th, 2000 07:51 PM

We just recently moved into a new home October 8, 1999 - my husband and i decided on berber carpet. we wanted a carpet that would be able to withstand wear and tear, so cost was not the biggest issue....the carpet was installed horribly. But the biggest problem about 2 1/2 months after we moved in was that dark dirt lines along the edges of the carpet started to appear. Especially upstairs and along the edges of the stairs.....i was very concern about this so i thought it may be a heating and cooling issue. We called the heating and cooling organization who installed our system and found the system to be cleaned and was not sure where the dirt was coming from....we also called the company who installed our fireplace and found nothing their.....we then contacted the manufactur of the carpet who came out to see it......he agreed that the carpet installation was poorely done but was not sure about all the dirt in the carpet.....we have been trying to get to the bottom of this!
for the last three months....the carpet organization did some research and concluded that the dark lines were do to what is called "carpet ghosting" we did some research on the matter and found that this carpet ghosting is due to negative pressure in a household and that the carpet is being used as a filtration system because of this....we had a technician come out to do an air blower test who also provided us with a report. The report indeed discovered pressure in the house but it was not negative pressure it was positive pressure (the house is built air tight he said).........but nevertheless, the technician said that positive or negative pressure can have the same effect on the carpet.......we went to the builder - but of course he has never heard of this.....i am frustrated and worried at the same time....we financed almost 4,000.00 on this carpet and within 3 months its shot..........i dont know who is responsible to make the appropriate changes. I am being told th!
at my builder is responsible and that the floor edges need to be cocke
d once the carpet is removed. But until now no one wants to take husband and i are expecting our first child in 6 weeks and i am so frantic and scared to bring a baby into our home with all these stains around the carpet...we have even gone as far as hiring a cleaning service. i vacumm twice a week and i just cant control this ghosting....CAN YOU PLEASE DIRECT US IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR HELP US MAKE THE SITUATION RIGHT. This is our first home and are not sure what to do!!!!!!!!!!...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC