> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Carpet and floor cover on concrete
Login | Register

Carpet and floor cover on concrete

Posted by BobB on June 14th, 2001 08:38 AM
In reply to How do we remove 2 layers linoleum and 1 layer carpet? by Tammy on June 13th, 2001 03:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

Tammy, I did that job two years ago in my basement. First I used a utility knife and cut the carpet all the way through the backing to the flooring into 3 foot wide strips and rolled it back. Much of the foam carpet backing stayed glued to the flooring when I rolled up the carpet. To remove the flooring I then tried the various roofers shovel, chisel ice scraper methods until my arms were sore. I appealed to a friendly local floor covering store owner who told me about a device called a floor tile chipper at the local rental store. It worked like a champ. It had a blade that reciprocated like a jackhammer, only powered by an electric motor, and the blade was set at a shallow angle to the floor, not vertical like a jack hammer.
WOrking together my kid and I did the 400 sq. ft. rec. room in a couple of hours.
I hope one of these tools is available locally to where you live. If not you could always do like I did and appeal to the friendly local floor covering store.
Good Luck. BobB

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC