> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Carol has the best resolution to your question, rental
Login | Register

Carol has the best resolution to your question, rental

Posted by Moderator, Steve on February 26th, 2002 05:07 PM
In reply to Paint Sprayer by RobertM on February 26th, 2002 11:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Moderator Post (s) for this thread:
> Wagner WEB Link by doug seibert on 08/06/2004

I paint professionally and have many sprayers. I have experimented with cheaper units and expensive units. I have always found out that the amount of money has a very direct bearing on how the unit will work, spray, clean, unclog, and satisfaction from the one making out the check. Cheap units do cheap jobs and expensive units do good jobs.

Downside of rentals. The thing that ruins a unit and a paint job the most is a unclean unit. Most renters do not care if they properly ran 10 gallons of fresh water through the system until the water came out crystal clear. They may return it not even cleaned. If the rental company is on their toes, they will inspect it and properly clean it, BUT>>>>>>>>.

Now, learning how to spray paint is something else in its self. Knowing the proper tip for that application and that paint's vescosity. Knowing how to break it down and find an illusive paint clog, how to use a shield with one hand and paint with the other, How to do the proper overlaps, and most importantly how to work with all neighbors all around to move their cars away from your site, then what to do if you accidently inject your finger with a pint of paint.

Rent a paint sprayer one weekend and do some practicing. I was told by an old timer painter that the best way to learn is to fill a five gallon bucket with water and go out and spray a wooden fence. here you will learn the overlaps, the distances to be from the work and most other situations to overcome.

If you rent a spray rig one day and paint a customers home the next day, you will be in big trouble. Overspray is the down fall of many new or novice spray painters.

In my opinion, I will tell you that you will be safer, more confident, and get your money if you do the job by hand this time.

Spraying is not like buying a can of red rustoleum and painting your sons red wagon. You have soo many variables, and one is wind.

Now, remember I am a pro fessional painter and I am not tooting my horn with my toys, but I once bought an Waggoner spray painter to paint some wicker patio furniture, that thing sputtered, choked, puked, and everything else. The vescosity of the paint has to be just right or it will not perform correctly.

I have another $1600 rig that I would be confident in painting the White House if asked. Its dependable and will do a good job for me and for YOU. This is not saying this is what you need, but a point in expense vrs quality.

Also, you need to make sure that you buy the right paint for spraying. for example, I am a big Sherwin William's product person. for outside painting, Super Paint is too thick for a spray rig and addint water will only ruin the paints properties, so that is why A-100 was developed for spraying. Its the right vescosity and ready to go. You need to know this too.

Just like spray rigs, cheap paint yeilds cheap results. Cheap brushes....... so on and so on.

I will get some flak on this, but its my feeling and opinion and my own field testing results.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC