> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Can you refinish pine subflooring and use as your floor...
Login | Register

Can you refinish pine subflooring and use as your floor...

Posted by Sterling on November 24th, 2002 06:08 PM

just bought a house that has beautiful oak hardwoods throughout. main part was built in 1951. i'm having the wood floors refinished in two weeks before we move in. kitchen (which is in the 1951 part of the house) has a linoleum floor, which is ugly and has to come up. i've been told that houses built in the south in the 40's-50's often have pine subflooring which can be refinished to look beautiful. i figured if this can be done, we'll just have the kitchen floors redone with the rest of the house.

i've crawled underneath the house, looked up, and seen what looks to be one by fours or fives laid on a 45 degree angle from the joists. my questions would be 1) is the (pine) floor i'm looking at from below refinishable as a finishing floor above, and 2) what are the chances of there being another wood floor above the subflooring and below the linoleum?

3) the pine subflooring they used before plywood was used... is this pine subflooring tongue in groove, or is it just planks laid side by side?

4) if it isn't refinishable, i'll just have to tile... but i'm trying to save on the cost and my preference would be to have hardwoods in the kitchen anyway rather than tile.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC