> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Can't Tell From Here ...
Login | Register

Can't Tell From Here ...

Posted by Jay J on August 25th, 2000 07:52 AM
In reply to Cinderblock foundation crumbling by John P on August 24th, 2000 10:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Block will deteriorate over a long time if they're subjected to repeated water and drying and pressure. It may be best to have the house inspected by a Structural Engineer. Generally speaking, his fee will cover a complete inspection (unless you don't want one), along with repair recommendations and cost estimates. This is $$$ well-spent! If you wait long enough, you will end up calling him from a hotel room to see if your house can be fixed. It's best to have it checked now while it has a 'leg' to stand on!

Yes, freezing and thawing can affect the block along with the 'other elements' I mentioned previously. Winter is fast approaching.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Be sure you landscaping slopes AWAY from your foundation all around the house. BE sure your gutters AND downspouts are free and clear of debris. Be sure your gutters aren't over-flowing or leaking. The water should be routed at least 3' from the foundation (with proper sloping.) In the next heavy rainstorm, put on some boots and grab an umbrella (watch for lightening), and walk around the house looking UP AND DOWN to see how your gutters AND landscaping are 'handling' the water. Fixing gutters, downspouts, and/or grading may be all you need to do! (Wouldn't that be nice.) Assuming all these are in 'order', get the Engineer.

After this afternoon, I won't be back until Monday morning. 'Other Follow-uppers' will be around ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC