> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Can't remember off the top of my head
Login | Register

Can't remember off the top of my head

Posted by deecee on February 7th, 2003 12:31 AM
In reply to textured ceiling technique by Jim in Maine on February 6th, 2003 04:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

what it's called, but I bought a tool for this at HD that's basically an 18 inch square piece of aluminum sheet about 1/8 thick on a handle mounted in the center. Looks like a bricklayer's hod carrier board. You just smear joint compound on it and walk around the room pushing it up on the ceiling and pulling it straight down. How much mud you put on and how much slopping you do determines how rough the texture is. The key to knocking down the texture without getting lines is to let the peaks set up about half dry and then pull a wide (12 or 14") blade across LIGHTLY at a very shallow angle. I was able to match the ceilings in the rest of my house in an addition project on my first try, so you know it can't be very hard. If it's not coming out right, scrape it off, sponge it down and adjust your method. And as pointed out in another post I made on ceiling texture, you can nail a piece of scrap rock somewhere and practice your technique first. I have a texture hopper and all the toys, but the rig Dodgeman is talking about is excellent for small jobs Luck, Kizmet

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC