> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Call the inspector...
Login | Register

Call the inspector...

Posted by Mongo on February 2nd, 2003 10:53 PM
In reply to kp is right but, .... by Jason on February 2nd, 2003 07:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

...if your area has one.

You or the builder should have secured a building permit prior to any work being done. The inspector would have made several visits to the site during construction to ensure the code minimum is being met.

If you do have an insection office, get them in the loop. Best case is that they'll inspect the cottage, give you a CO, and charge you the cost of what the original permit would have been.

In my locale, if you build without a permit, the town can double the fee as a penalty.

Worst case? You'd have to tear open the walls so the mechanicals/elec/plumbing can be inspected.

If you have no inspector or enforcable code in your area, you have what you have. If the place was built poorly, that's your fault for not spec'ing minimum standards in a contract.

Regardless, if you want to insure this place you'll need some documentation for the insurer.

Talk to the town offices, then take it from there.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC