> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > cabinet installation
Login | Register

cabinet installation

Posted by Pat S on June 4th, 2000 10:13 AM

I am installing a peninsula in a U shaped kitchen and would like some opinions. I have the base cabinet in place, level and plumb and the face frames clamped together with adjoining cabinet. Rather than unclamping, reshimming, etc. to install a board backer under kick plate to screw cabinet to I am considering leaving cabinet in place and lag bolting through shims to floor. The bolt heads would be hidden by a pull out
drawer so that isn't a problem. The floor is 3/4 oak nailed to 3/4 plywood subfloor that is glued and screwed to I joists so it is a substantial floor. The only problem I can think of is possibly a small amount of expansion/contraction on the hardwood flooring but I would think that would be insignificant. I would bolt right behind kickplate so as not to warp cabinet bottom. Can anyone think of any reasons to not bolt cabinet to floor in this manner? I know iit is not the traditional method but what is the difference of screwing a 2 by 4 to the floor and screwing the cabinet to that or the lag bolt method?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC