> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Buying a new house with foundation cracks-should I do it?
Login | Register

Buying a new house with foundation cracks-should I do it?

Posted by Mary Booth on August 14th, 2001 01:23 AM

I am interested in buying a home that is 2 yrs old. However there is a vertical crack in an outside foundation wall that is approximately 3 ft high. The crack is 1/8 th of an inch and the crack continues in the attached garage floor. The builder of the home did mud jack the garage floor and the owners tell me there has not been any water leakage and the crack has not gotten any worse. The foundation was poured and allowed to sit for 1 yr before the house was finished. The ground does slope out away from the cracked area and it appears the ground is dry not wet. There is a crack in the back of the house patio that is adjacent to this wall that is cracked. I love the house and where it is located. Should I buy it or run as fast as I can away from it? The current owners feel it has been repaired with mud jacking and since there is never been a problem with water leaking-it is fixed. Since it is a young home does that indicate future heartaches and expensive repairs in the future? Or if the moisture in the ground is improved with irrigation can you prevent further damage and never have the problem get worse? Thanks for your comments. I'm scared I'm going to be a sucker if I buy it!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC