> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Burning wood in pellet stoves
Login | Register

Burning wood in pellet stoves

Posted by Tim in VA on July 5th, 2001 08:47 AM
In reply to Use firewood in Pellet stove? by RoundHouse on July 4th, 2001 08:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

I use a pellet stove as a supplemental heat source and have been very pleased, but I have never seen one that you can burn wood in. The requirements for the flue construction are quite different and burning wood in a pellet stove would be dangerous.

I burn only oak pellets, which don't leave the tar residues that the mixed types do, and I'm still paying about $160.00/ton. In a bad winter I may go through 2-2.5 tons, and I have a thermostat attached to the indoor portion of the flue that turns on my furnace blower to circulate the heat throughout. When the blower comes on my humidifier is also activated. I do this because I can heat 1800 sq. ft. with this stove, and the heat pump won't come on if I crank it up.

I understand not wanting to rely on one source for fuel (pellets), but that's the way almost every method of heating is unless you can afford to spend big $$$ for a solar system and get off the grid.

I'm sure that most manufacturers make zero clearance FP inserts, as they all make stand-alone units that only require 1" clearance from the wall (like mine). This url will give you a lot of links, and may provide the info you need...

I use use a Whitfield stove, and have communicated by email several times. Keep in mind that an answer may take a week or more, these manufacturers don't necessarily dedicate the resources we would like for this type of communication. Sometimes a phone call will be the way to go for a quick answer.

Hope this helps

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC