> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Building a set of horses.....
Login | Register

Building a set of horses.....

Posted by Bruce M on December 17th, 1997 10:37 PM
In reply to Sawhorses by Chris on December 16th, 1997 08:24 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Chris:

I agree that self made horses are superior, in general, to those you buy. Over the years, I have built, I would guess, 10 sets of horses. Problem is, you need to build the horses for your application. Is storage space or weight an issue? How much weight do they need to support? Is stability more important than size? How long do you want them to last?

The 3 sets I have and use now, and have had in service for 5 to 8 years, are mortised at all weight bearing joints. This, I think, is the secret to building strong yet light and long lasting horses, along with using construction adhesive (instead of yellow glue) and using screws instead of nails.

Although I'm not one to use plans, Fine Home Building ran a speacial on the various kinds of horses you can build. The issue came out about 10 to 12 months ago. Might be worth a trip to your library to look through the back issues, or visit their WEB site (Taunton Press) and ask for the back issue.

Best wishes

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC