> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > building a second floor .
Login | Register

building a second floor .

Posted by Jimi campbell on November 29th, 2001 12:55 AM

HI,I have a 100 year old house.with fold down stairs to attic which is pretty rafters are 2by6s that come to a double plate which are 2by4.From there wall studs 2by4 that go all the way to foundation I believe you call it balloon framing. well now that you have a good idear,My question is firstup in my attic my ceiling for down stairs are made out of 2by4s that are nailed to wallstuds that have a 2by4layed flat between each stud on extior walls.Can I (or what) use 2by10s on top of ceiling using like they did on extior walls and my bearing wall in middle of attic build up to make level to meet my knew floor joist.If idont do it this way then can I sister the 2by4s I ALREADY HAVE there if i sister it would be allot of extra work the way it is with electical wire ect,,Now my second question is building a ceiling for attic can (or what)I use 2by6s going from rafter to other side rafter when i get to studs running down to extior walls my height would be 5ft but move 4ft from extior and your looking at 7ft to ceiling is this excepted.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC