> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Building a deck on a roof-top
Login | Register

Building a deck on a roof-top

Posted by Max on March 26th, 2003 02:18 PM
In reply to how to build & secure a new deck on top of an existing porch by Mickey on August 7th, 1998 04:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi. I am trying to figure out how to build a deck on a walled rooftop space outside the back door of my second floor apartment. It is a 20' x 20' space surrounded by a 4 foot high wall. I am a novice builder & just want to put together something simple, the simpler the better - just a slightly raised platform that will be weather-proofed & allow for drainage, & then find some way to secure it to the rooftop itself - & make it relatively level, no wobbles or odd slants, the roof itself seems pretty level. The roofing-material itself appears to be made of some kind of tar or rubber-like construction material, which is easily nailed-through. Can I do this & is it legal & up to code to build in such a place? Do I need a permit or is it a simple enough job to not need one? And lastly, if I need a permit, what local office could I contact to find out (I live in New York City)? I'd appreciate any help I could get with any or all of these questions.
Thanks & Best Wishes,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC