renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Builder Experience? More questions..........
Login | Register

Builder Experience? More questions..........

Posted by doug seibert on January 23rd, 2003 06:28 AM
In reply to I should probably also mention. by Nick on January 21st, 2003 01:39 AM [Go to top of thread]

I know this is your first build.......what about the builder.....has he built this "same" house before...........Or is he working on a steep learning curve too..............What about the other subs/trades......Is this His design/plans or your own?........architect?..........What about the building dept?is this a staffed city dept or some small town where another contractor does double duty as inspector.......there should be record of what he inspected/signed off.........

Are there ventilation chutes in place above the insulation in the vaulted ceiling.....if they forgot the soffit/ridge vents What else did they neglect?.......Who did the insulating?

Is that dormer also in a vaulted ceiling?......ventilation can get muddled around the extra framing...........

PHOTOS?.......didn't anybody take any snapshots during construction.......Usually "somebody" has some record shots of various stages of construction............could be useful to "see"........

The dormer location/water-weeping-brown-thru-siding is a red flag to me for a roof leak/flashing problem............

What kind of heating system do you have?Vapor barriers.........Type insulation?

What next..........hire an independent building inspector......Let him cut some holes to see the problem(s)........Document/photograph everything that you find......."build" a case......hire an attorney.......Read and Re-read Your builder's contract......determine what recourse you have from the signed documents..........

And Good Luck..........doug

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC