> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Bubbles in polyurethane
Login | Register

Bubbles in polyurethane

Posted by G Melochick on August 8th, 2000 09:56 AM
In reply to Bubbles in floor finish by Robert S on January 7th, 2000 07:21 AM [Go to top of thread]

3 of 3 people found this post helpful

Just a note on a floor refinishing problem and a solution.
I have been refinishing my old, shag carpet covered hardwood floors and when I applied the Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane..... I got bubbles....lots and lots of bubbles. The floor was clean....and I was using a lambs wool applicator (roller type) as recommended. I searched the internet for the solution and was amazed to find others had the same problem.....the solutions offered were poor (to my mind). Now, some of the folks I talked to here recommended that I use mineral spirits to thin the
polyurethane...However, the mineral spirits manufacturer and the polyurethane sales person (at Home Depot
by the way) recommended against thinning so I didn't do that. Anyway, I stripped the polyurethane off. I
then used a paint pad and VERY slowly applied the polyurethane going over the same area very lightly to
smooth out the bubbles....This worked fine but was time consuming. As luck and time would have it when I
was 75-80% done I needed a new can of polyurethnane. It was out in the truck.........the VERY hot truck.
When I brought this can in it applied bubbles, no application problems at all in fact. It even went on much easier. So the change in viscosity between 76 deg F and ~90+ deg F made the application of the polyurethane MUCH better.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC