The gas pressure may be correct and still leave you with a problem. The pressure should not be set high enough to to float the flame off the pilot assembly. If the pilot orifice is too large or is a natural gas sized orifice, the pilot will be large and long and perhaps float off. Also, if the flame is set up to strike (impinge) on cold surfaces, incorrect combustion will make smoke (and carbon monoxide) in the home to darken ceiling sufaces. You describe a dangerous condition. You need a fireplace that does not produce these problems. A house built 30 years ago can be too tight, so if opening a nearby window one-half inch when you use the fireplace stops the problem, you have a solution.