> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Brick of log,? difficult to answer.?
Login | Register

Brick of log,? difficult to answer.?

Posted by John 2000 on August 12th, 2000 02:37 AM
In reply to Brick home or log home by chuck on August 11th, 2000 01:49 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Chuck,
Brick or log home, they both have their good side and they both have their bad side,
if you live in a cold climate I would go for the log,but you say dryer and hotter
climate, in hotter/dryer climate the timber will move, ( they do over here in Europe)
some times up to 10cm (4ins) up/down you must leave a space above the doors and windows
to allow for movement in the summer the timbers drys out ,winter they settle down again your
only problem is when you have a heating system from hot water ( pipes) you will have to put
a loop in the pipes ( I got over this by putting the pipes behind the curtains ( spelt wrong)
this will allow for any movement and you wont damage the pipes, its only the up and down pipe
you put the loop in, width of the house theres no movement,
Brick homes, ( I would think because you asked the question about log homes your in favor of a log home
but with brick you wont have any problems ( they dont move,) but you wont have the same style or design
myself.. I would go for the log, cool in the summer/warm in the winter,
but remember, its you that will live there, so at the end of the day your choose.?
have fun, and enjoy your home. John 2000

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC