> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > bowed studs
Login | Register

bowed studs

Posted by bc on November 3rd, 2000 10:00 AM
In reply to thoughts... by jb on November 3rd, 2000 09:13 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

I don't know that I can add much except cut them out with a recip saw and replace. I avoid many home cheapo/home creepo type places when I want good quality and dry lumber. You really have to shop and question your lumber yards. Good, straight, and dry studs will stay that way. Bad and wet ones will warp, bow, etc. Even the stud grade stamp won't always help cause they have different dryness grades that should be stamped on the studs and avoid the ones that don't. Shop at lumber yards, ask where they buy their lumber and how dry it is. Look their yard over to see if there are any culls laying in the pile that are warped, etc. which is a bad sign. Good lumber costs more and many yards, like consumers, buy based on price.

Your problem is one of the reasons why some people like metal studs. Like jb said check them with a straight edge or get a helper with a string line and stand in the corners and run the line up and down to see how bad the problem is. Otherwise just Rock and Roll, Dude! (put on drywall and roll paint)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC