> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Bonding Formica
Login | Register

Bonding Formica

Posted by Henry in MI on September 7th, 1998 08:42 AM
In reply to Books not specific to this situation by TomR on September 7th, 1998 03:14 AM [Go to top of thread]

Tom, I am sure not an expert on this subject, but I don't think that I would do it. The reason is that one side of the Formica is smooth and shiny, which is going to make bonding difficult. The other side of the sheet is a matte surface with lots of microscopic hills and valleys that the contact cement loves to bond to. Certainly, you can try to sand the old surface, but I think that by the time you did this, you could have taken off the old surface using one of Norm's "nice sharp chisels", stiff bladed putty knives and some popcycle sticks. If you do tear into the undersurface, Bondo should work to fill and level it back out. If it were me, I would lose the metal edging, but I recognize that this is a matter of taste. Assuming that the underlying plywood has been doubled on the edge, just run strips of the Formica around the edge. You don't really, really, REALLY need it, but a router with an edge triming bit, one with a bearing to follow the contour, will be a big help and make the job a lot easier and better for the new installation. Be sure that you have all the windows open when using the contact cement.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC