> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Board and Bat siding
Login | Register

Board and Bat siding

Posted by Henry in MI on August 13th, 1999 11:22 AM
In reply to Bat and Board Siding: Oak, Poplar or Pine? What is prefered? by Anders Steele on August 13th, 1999 10:44 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi, Anders. My choice would be none of the above. Your best choice would be cedar or redwood. None of your 3 choices really take to weather well but oak would be about the best. If it was me, I would go with T1-11 pressure treated plywood, which has a surface like rough sawn lumber but installs in 4x8 foot sheets.

The problem with the oak is that is difficult to nail. You will end up having to drill pilot holes for all the nails. The problem with all the wood that you are thinking of buying is that it is probably not dried from the mill. That's why you can get such a good price on it. When you install it, the wood will dry and contract in all dimensions and end crack or check. Even with the bats, this will cause problems. The other option you have is to buy the wood and throw it in the barn for a year to dry out.

Sorry to spoil your weekend, but those are my thoughts. And, by the way, I have a pick-up truck load of oak in the barn now waiting for next summer. This is not for siding, but the wood is the same.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC