> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Board
Login | Register

Posted by Henry in MI on April 1st, 2001 12:02 PM
In reply to THIS MESSAGE BOARD ISNT VERY EFFECTIVE IS IT... by bfo on April 1st, 2001 08:26 AM [Go to top of thread]

Actually, I think that this board is pretty effective. You might have hit the board for the first time on a day when there were a lot of questions posted without time for others to answer. Saturdays and Thursdays are like that. Some of us like to sleep in on Sunday mornings too. The time zones across the country accounts for some of this too.

I think that every question gets a lot of readings and there might be a relative few that don't get some comment. Where there is none, I means that no one knows the answer and it is probably better that it not be answered rather than bad info given.

For what it's worth, many questions are regional but the questioners don't really think of that. How you handle rain issues differs greatly whether you are in south Florida or west Texas, Seattle or San Diego. It really helps to know where the questioner is located but many question posters don't think of that. Foundations, basements and siding have the same problem and there are probably others.

A few of the regular respondents are pro's, many are not. A pro should get paid for his knowledge and I appreciate the one's that do. I don't think that any of us want the board to get too commercial at the same time. I keep a list of links to products that solve many of the questions that are frequently asked and so do others.

Many questioners post something that they could answer if they would run a search on their computers. Many questions are asked that have been answered many times and the answers could be found in the FAQ section or by hitting ctrl-F and checking for a key word in the question index. I wish that the questioners would do this on their own first, and we have no way to know how many actually do, but people might want to consider how many times questions on Cobblewood floors have been asked and answered before they get upset about a short answer. If you have done your homework first, please ask the question.

I'll get off my soapbox, but I don't think your comments are valid. On another board, my help on a finishing project helped a contestant for a contest win $1000 for the best project of the year. I am pretty proud of that and I an pretty proud of this board.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC