> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Blistering Paint on Plaster
Login | Register

Blistering Paint on Plaster

Posted by Jim Bennett on March 29th, 2000 12:50 AM

There are 2 answers to the reason for the problem. I need to find source material that substantiates one or the other! Details: I have a duplex bought 6 years ago. The main floor tenants laundry room was built with plaster walls in 1960. The wall has been painted from time to time. The last time was about 3 years ago and painted by tenants. I was gone for 6 months and new tenants moved in. When I returned, I found the new tenants running the dryer without venting it to the outside.The room was worse than a sauna!Reoccurred 3 times before i got them to correct. Before i left the was no blistered paint.When i returned, the paint was blistered(less near cracks in door etc. and not at all in nearby drywall. 3 "experts" had opinions. One said; it was because previous paint was wrong paint and heat/humidity was not the cause. The other 2 said that heat/humidity causes a component of the plaster to leach out, causing the blistering.
The latter explanation makes the most sense. But where is it written that excessive heat/humidity will cause old paint on an old plaster wall to blister? What I need is source documentation! Can you help or suggest a way to find such?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC