> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Bleaching wood
Login | Register

Bleaching wood

Posted by Henry in MI on May 8th, 2001 05:29 PM
In reply to Bleaching Wood by Ray Petryna on May 8th, 2001 09:05 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Ray. I hope that you understand that there is bleaching the wood to make the wood itself a lighter color and then there is bleaching to remove a stain that was put on the wood. The bleaching that you are talking about is to remove the natural color from wood. This is covered extensively on pages 80 and 81 of the book Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexnor and too long to repeat here. His work is done on the basis of using the Wood Bleach kit sold by Klean Strip. I doubt that they will tell you the formulation exactly but you can check this out at their web site, . Oxalic acid is also sold under the name Wood Bleach by another company and this is for removing stain.

I really would suggest that you buy the Klean Strip kit and give it a try on a test piece first. If you have ready access to the chemicals involved, you should be able to test samples from the kit product to determine the concentration. I don't really know what they are but having good directions for their use is part of the kit. I also don't know if there are any buffers or additives in the kit product that you would not know to test for. I really suggest you stick with buying the kits. Remember to follow all the label instructions and warnings.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC