> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Black Spots after rain
Login | Register

Black Spots after rain

Posted by TomE on May 6th, 2003 07:24 PM
In reply to Fiberon/Trex by Patricia Pagano on May 6th, 2003 05:08 PM [Go to top of thread]

I believe the majority of composites can have the dark spots and mildew problems. I just finished looking at the Fiberon website and found the info below on cleaning the surface.

If you hear any news one way or the other regarding Fiberon vs Trex I'd love to hear about it. My wife and I are looking into a walkway and wondered if anyone had experience one way or the other.

Good Luck

Care and maintenance:
Like any material exposed to the outdoors, Fiberon decking will occasionally require cleaning. To clean, sweep the deck of any debris and clean any clogged gaps between boards to allow for proper drainage. Apply deck wash to a dry deck, brush with a stiff broom (you should see a slight foaming), wait 10 minutes, and then rinse. Let the deck dry completely. Deck wash is effective only when applied to a dry deck. Apply deck wash again, brush, leave it on for an hour and then rinse. A slight yellowing of the deck is normal and will fade within days. Never mix any other cleaners (ammonia, phosphoric acid, etc.) with deck wash.

Periodic cleaning will help prevent mildew. However, any extended period of warm, humid or rainy weather may result in mildew growth despite all precautions. If mildew does appear, a deck wash containing sodium hypochlorite and a detergent should be used. (Olympic and Valspar deck cleaners have been found effective in removing mildew from Fiberon decking). Mildew does not damage Fiberon decking.

For heavy-duty stains such as grease, use a degreasing agent.

Occasionally, Fiberon's oak wood composition can yield a dark tannic extractive stain when a ferrous material is left on the surface through repeated rain fall. To remove these tannic extract stains, apply a solution of 4 ounces of oxalic acid crystals (also known as wood bleach) dissolved in 1 gallon of warm water in a nonmetallic container to the discolored area. Stains should fade and disappear following the application. If the stain persists, wash with 1 cup of trisodium phosphate (TSP) and 1 cup of household bleach mixed with 1 gallon of water. Rinse thoroughly and follow with an application of oxalic acid as described above. Apply this one board at a time with a soft brush. When the decking dries thoroughly, rinse with clean water.

Cleaned areas will tone in time to match the remainder of the deck. Always read the manufacturer’s safety instructions, as well as directions for proper disposal of an environmental hazard and protection of surrounding plants and shrubbery.

The appearance of surface scratching that may result from normal use is exaggerated when first installed and will become less noticable over time with normal weathering.
Pressure washing with a light detergent will clean Fiberon. Caution should be exercised to test a small section of the decking with the desired pressure washing unit.

Always test a small, inconspicuous section before applying any product to Fiberon decking.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Trex info by mavesko  2/19/07 03:06 PM
  • composites by andlosch  10/4/08 09:49 PM (: 2, : 0)

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC