> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > bizarre window springs
Login | Register

bizarre window springs

Posted by tom on February 5th, 2003 01:35 PM

My home was built in 1969. All of my windows are wood frame single pane double hungs. The jambs are
guides are aluminum and a singl piece with the "pockets" for the windows to ride stamped in them.
(looks like a typical guide, nothing fancy). BUT, the springs are behind one of the jamb guides. They are
bizarre little critters, each one fits snugly inside of a hole drilled in the casing (or possibly jack stud).
It is similar to a small can inside of a slightly larger can with a spring inside. The portion that hangs outside
of the wood is tapped on top so when the aluminum guide is fit over these (about 3 or 4 spring units on one jamb) and
is then screwed into place (screw goes through aluminum jamb guide and into top of spring).

Problem is that these springs on every window are shot and the only way to hold the windows open is with
a chunk of wood. My question is this: I have not found this spring system anywhere and no one knows
anything about them. Can these simply be replaced, if not is there some place that manufactures another
sort of spring system I can pop in the existing space? Or am I destined to tear everything out (all sills etc.) and
just buy "pre-mades" to shim in the rough opening????

I've never done anything like this and don't want to try it unless i'm absolutely sure.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC