> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Best way to Insulate and reside my 106 yr-old home?
Login | Register

Best way to Insulate and reside my 106 yr-old home?

Posted by John on November 18th, 2001 01:42 PM

1 of 2 people found this post helpful

My 106 yr-old Victorian home is in near San Antonio, TX. and I am planning to reside and insulate the walls and attic. We also plan on installing a heat pump - currently we have no central system. I plan to apply (in this order from inside to outside after removing the old siding to expose the studs and lap boards of the interior walls) a vapor barrier, 3.5" FG batts (although the stud spacing varies from 12" - 30"; will add some additional studs),1/2" exterior 4'x8'plywood sheeting over studs, considering adding a 1" ridgid board insulation over plywood to increase R-value, then Hardi Plank siding. The home is 2-story: first floor 11' and second floor 9'. As in most homes this age and style the wall studs run from attic to the plate at the bottom. The 35 double-hung windows have already been replaced with double pane glass windows (of the same "old-look" to retain the orig. look). The home sits about 3' off the ground on piers. My question to those in-the-know is: Does this plan sound like a good one? And, how might it be improved upon? Thanks a lot. PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Good plan by Harold Kestenholz - Hydronic Network  11/18/01 08:03 PM
  • Minor concerns by Mongo  11/20/01 12:34 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC