renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Behr
Login | Register

Behr

Posted by Remodeling on July 26th, 2000 07:05 PM
In reply to Behr by ThatHomeSite on July 26th, 2000 06:53 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

Remodeling Forum

painting kitchen cabinets
Posted by Diane Thompson (lukeanddiane@webtv.net) on Sun, Dec 12, 99 at 11:38

I'm giving some thought to painting our medium oak stained kitchen cabinets. Should I use TSP to clean them, then use a product like Liquid Sand to make sure the paint adheres? What type of paint. I have been told by Lowe's to use a satin finish. Oil or latex? Benjamin Moore or Sherwin William's paints? Should I use a brush or spray paint them? I would appreciate the advice of those of you that have done this project. Help!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: painting kitchen cabinets
Posted by: Bruce (stylekit@yahoo.com) on Sun, Dec 12, 99 at 13:27

TSP for sure .. then a light sand with about a 150 grit .. then a good primer .. then use a good latex paint. I highly recomend Behr ( and so does consumer reports!) I would use a semi-gloss and if you are good with a brush it will be ok ... a roller will be better .. speying will be messy and is usually done by pros who know what they are doing .. but will produce the best results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: skipperoscar (rwrwerer@gte.net) on Sun, Dec 12, 99 at 18:03

if you use latex use latex that drys hard and made for cabnets like kelly moore dura poxy or sherwin wil. pro classic, oil paints give you more working time if you like satin finish the ben. moore satin impurvo oil is hard to beat, you dont need primer primer is for 1st coat and cabnets allready have finish on them.also spraying is best way just not for someone whos never done it before

Posted by: Bruce (stylekit@yahoo.com) on Mon, Dec 13, 99 at 11:43

We have never had any complaints about our normal latex semi-gloss Behr on cabinets .. It is simply a good paint and easy to use .. I think some of these other paints ..espesialy oil paints ..are just too much work ..
This is the feed back I get from other customers ..

Posted by: Marg (rjnmarg@tca.net) on Tue, Dec 14, 99 at 5:54

Having used Behr paint, I can vouch for the above. Also, the liquid sandpaper eliminates the need to sand with paper, and I use it for everything. It's my miracle product, and highly recommend it. I love the satin finish paints, they have a nice sheen to them, but no glare.
Liquid sand is the only thing I've ever found that takes offthat black gunk they stick down old lineoleum tiles with. I keep it all the time also for touch up jobs, just liquid sand swipe for cleaning and tacking, then paint the spots.

Posted by: Richard Krause (rkrause@erols.com) on Tue, Dec 14, 99 at 16:10

Diane,
So that you do not get stain bleeding through the painted surface, I would highly recommend that you use an oil based primer before you paint the cabinets.

We painted our very dark maple cabinets about 20 years ago and it has worked out great. The oil primer also did a great job in preventing the dark cabinet stain from bleeding through (Words of advice from the S/W fellow). We used a very pale yellow paint. Repainted the cabinets about 10 years ago with an off white colored latex. Now they would need to be painted again, but we have decided to remodel the kitchen. During these past 20 years we have received many many compliments from people about how nice the cabinets look.

Dick

P.S. - To make the cabinets really look nice, spend a bit extra money and buy some good quality hinges and door pulls. We did, and it really makes a difference on how the cabinets look.

Posted by: Tim Revis (timrevis@pearnet.com) on Sat, Jan 29, 00 at 21:28

Diane: I had two experiences with this. The first, I used latex enamel and it didn't bond well. After a few years it could be peeled almost like sunburnt skin. The second time the man at the paint store advised me to - first strip the mess I had made off - and then paint one coat of white pigmented varnish. Over this I painted with oil based enamel. This worked well - it endured heavy cleaning well - and was still solidly on the cabinets when I sold the house.

Posted by: Lynn (yanis@javanet.com) on Mon, Jan 31, 00 at 9:34

Apply the first coat of paint with a small roller that has a regular fabric cover. For your final coat(s) of paint, use a foam roller. The best ones are a very dense foam that is white and tight. The yellow foam has larger pores and doesn't work as well. The foam roller is fantastic because it will leave absolutely NO BRUSH MARKS. The number of coats you need will depend on other factors (color of paint and color and texture of what you're paintig over). These little foam rollers are an absolute godsend for painting cabinetry. BTW, you are planning to remove the cabinet doors before you paint, right??

Posted by: Sharon (smleipold@dca.net) on Fri, Feb 4, 00 at 6:53

Why do you want to paint? Painted kitchen cabinets show every smudge, mark and fingerprint and the paint can chip. You end up cleaning them all the time. Clean off the old cabinets and you'll be happy with the results.

Posted by: Luke (lukeanddiane@webtv.net) on Sat, Apr 15, 00 at 16:50

Thanks eveyone for your great advice! I have decided it's time to get this project done. I'm sure the cabinets will look a lot better painted than the way they look now. Thanks again, I appreciated your opinions! This forum really helps us to do our projects ourselves. Thanks!

Posted by: Terri (trecile@aol.com) on Wed, Apr 19, 00 at 0:44

I have painted all the cabinets in my house, kitchen, bath etc., and they have held up very well. I did the kitchen about 6 years ago and used a low sheen latex paint that is made by a regional company here in the Northwest which I loved but has unfortunately been discontinued. I sprayed the doors with a Wagner sprayer and they look great. The cabinets themselves I used a white foam roller and they are only slightly textured from it. For the other rooms I have switched to the Behr satin enamel. (my neighbor used the Behr semi-gloss and had good results with that also) I have used both dark colors and white and for some reason the white shows brush marks more. To prepare the cabinets I wash down well with TSP, skip the sanding and use a good primer like Bullseye 123 (water based) If I am painting a light color I use several coats of primer to avoid having to paint more than two top coats. I have not had any problem with chipping and the finish is very scrubbable. To complete the job I changed out the hinges and knobs. Good luck with your project!
P.S. If you use the small white foam roller - it is about 4 inches long, make sure and get the little plastic grid that goes inside the paint can, then you don't need to use a roller tray.

Posted by: Jess (ccogan@fgi.net) on Thu, Apr 20, 00 at 8:27

I have also heard that it helps to "seal" the final job with a coat or coats of polyurethane or varathane.

Posted by: Dan Holland (Danno02@Pacbell.net) on Mon, Jul 10, 00 at 22:21

Thanks for all the information. My wife and I are wanting to "re-do" our cabinets that came with the house we just bought. If there is any other good info anyone has..please let me know..

Posted by: barbara (newagent99@hotmail.com) on Tue, Jul 11, 00 at 9:12

If you are painting the cabinets white, don't use an oil based paint. The paint will yellow with time.
I've been VERY disappointed with Behr semi-gloss paints. They don't cover well, and they have a streaky look. I've been successful with Ben Moore Paints or Coronada by Pittsburgh Paints.
have fun!

Posted by: Diane (lukeanddiane@webtv.net) on Tue, Jul 11, 00 at 10:33

Thanks everyone for all the great information! I've completed painting the kitchen cabinets & they look great! I used the white roller as suggested...it's true...it does give a textured look...but..I'm pleased with it. I used TSP to clean the cabinets good, then used Liquid Sand (recommended to do so by a friend, a former painter & now owns a Benj. Moore paint store) - helps the paint adhere better, then used Benj. Moore's Pearl Finish (decorator white) paint. I put two coats of primer & Benj. Moore paint. This ended up to be a BIG job...but, it was worth all the effort! Thanks again to everyone for their great information. It really helped me get this job completed!
Di

Posted by: Becky (becsco@aol.com) on Sun, Jul 23, 00 at 22:56

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the TSP effects? Does it strip the stain or????? I love the stain finish on my kitchen cabinets, but they are look very dull and dinghy (sp?). Desperately in need of cleaning and something to restore the luster. There are also scratches that need to be fixed before a final coat of finish is put on. I just need to know if the TSP will damage the stain, or if it will just clean all of the gunk that has built up on them from kitchen exposure over the past 12 years.
I have tried Murphy's oil soap to clean them, but they just don't seem to regain the luster of a nice stained finish. I would also appreciate any ideas for what type of finish to put on them that will wear well and be easy to clean. Someone suggested a polyurethane finish? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC