renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Behr
Login | Register

Behr

Posted by ThatHomeSite on July 26th, 2000 06:53 PM
In reply to Painting in the evening by Ernie Gray on July 25th, 2000 02:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Welcome to That Home Site!!
Be sure to check out the complete list of That Home Site! Forums.

Opinions on Behr paint please
Posted by Paula (paula003@ameritech.net) on Mon, May 8, 00 at 11:23

Hello everyone,
I'm finally going to be doing some faux finishing (colorwashing) and thought of using Behr paint from Home Depot. The main reason for doing this that they have the swatches already premade so that I can see what color combinations would produce what results. I would have liked to use the Laura Ashley products but there is not a Lowes anywhere near where I live.
Any opinions (good and bad) about Behr paint would be appreciated.
Thanks

Paula

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Opinions on Behr paint please
Posted by: Teresa (trese44@ivillage.com) on Mon, May 8, 00 at 14:37

We used Behr Latex paint on our bedroom walls and it does not cover other paints at all well. We had to put two full coats on the walls and still do touch up in some places. So for the closets, we used a Kilz primer first, hoping to get away with one coat of paint, but no luck.
I'll be using Benjamin Moore paint on the rest of the house. All of my friends rave about how well it covers.

Teresa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Karee (k_hagan@globe.com) on Tue, May 9, 00 at 12:16

Hi Paula. On the contrary to the lady above, I've used nothing but Behr throughout my home and loved it! Strange, huh? I've painted walls, ceilings, floors, doors - you name it, I've painted it - all with Behr. Mostly used flat and latex satin finish. Allcame out well and the color selection is what sold me to begin with. Guess you'll have to try your own luck on this one.

Posted by: Sophie (sophiethomas@go.com) on Tue, May 9, 00 at 13:11

We used Behr one-coat in our entire house..and we had to use 2 coats on everything. Our house hadnt been painted for 12 years though...so I think the walls just sucked up the paint. I am happy with the paint. We used eggshell finish for most of the house and satin in the bathrooms and for the main kitchen wall.

Posted by: judyj in Seattle (jajohnson2@earthlink.net) on Tue, May 9, 00 at 13:56

I bought Behr based on ratings in Consumer Reports (online). So far, I've just been experimenting with my effects, but I would have to say that it covers well. I've never seen a one-coat paint that actually covers well in one coat. My only complaint is that the paint color didn't match the chip closely, but I think that is common to most brands, due to a variety of factors.

Posted by: notmyname (confidential@hotmail.com) on Tue, May 9, 00 at 15:36

I also bought Behr on Consumer Reports' recommendation. In most of the house, we had previously used Sears (Easy Living?) paint and weren't very impressed with it. I thought the Behr was great paint - went on better and had better coverage than the Sears in my opinion! However, no matter what any paint is labeled, I've never been happy with one coat, so right from the start, I knew I'd be doing 2 coats. I've used a flat finish (which is still washable, and many flats aren't) and a satin finish. I'm very happy with both.

Posted by: sim (cosmicdustbunny@hotmail.com) on Wed, May 10, 00 at 0:02

we used behr to colorwash our bedroom and have no complaints with it...we used the cactus range gold and i forget the name of the color red. particularly if you are colorwashing, since you are thinning the paint, you dont need to really worry about coverage, tho. we painted over builder's white, which was nothing more than a thin coating of white chalk...it took well. havent used it to paint over color, because until we painted, we didnt have any! =)
oh, and my husband is a former professional painter and he was the one who selected it...we used the latex satin finish..

sim

Posted by: Marg (rjnmarg@tca.net) on Wed, May 10, 00 at 6:02

I've also used Behr paint with very satisfying results.
I agree with the above posts who say that one coat never covers as well as touted. I never do less than two coats of any type paint. And, I think I've just about used them all. The flow of the Behr paint is good in my opinion. Much better than some of the others.

If you are nervous about the color since the chips pay look differently, ask them to paint a sample and blow dry it. They do this all the time at Home Depot. Then, you can actually see what color your paint is. They do a sample big enough to see.

Posted by: jt (johnnie.tschosik@halliburton.com) on Wed, May 10, 00 at 14:58

I have used Behr in all of my house, bath, kitchen, bedrooms, etc. and for me, its a good quality paint. No problems with coverage or anything else.
jt

Posted by: Vicki (vcj6869@aol.com) on Wed, May 10, 00 at 17:09

We recently purchased an older home and I bought Behr paint. I wasn't having the results that I thought I should have so I switched to Benjamin Moore. I can tell you that there was no difference in the quality. The realization was that I had walls that had not been painted in a long time (I'm guessing 20 yrs.) and nothing was going to cover well in 1 coat.

Posted by: Jen Heart (jennifersusan27@yahoo.com) on Wed, May 10, 00 at 19:49

I started painting my interior in Behr and was happy with it. However, I realized that Home Depot is killing smaller businesspeople in the area and bought my next round of paint at Ace (except for the Faux glaze I got at HD because they don't carry it at Ace). Well, I tell you what, I loved the Ace and won't go back to Behr!!! Ace really meant one coat! We did a very light off white over a tan color with no primer and only one coat was required. When we used Behr we always needed 2 coats, even dark color on light, and shade on shade!!
The Behr Faux glaze mixed well with the Ace paint too, so no worries about mixing brands.

Jen

Posted by: Stella (sburton712@aol.com) on Thu, May 11, 00 at 21:42

I think the Behr paint is pretty good quality for the price, but I too had coverage problems. Also, it seems like Behr takes an amazingly long time to dry. I don't think I would use it again on the exterior.
I've also heard good things about Ace paint, and Benjamin Moore paint is the best I've ever used.

Posted by: Patti (avlas@earthlink.net) on Sat, May 20, 00 at 2:19

Hmmmm, We just bought Behr paint for our bathroom, I am doing a base color with another color sponged over it, a combination I picked out of their faux finish brochure. We've painted the walls with the first color (venture in a semi-gloss finish) it is a dark color we painted over white and it did cover in 1 coat and dried REALLY fast! I have done a sample board with the 2nd color sponged on and it looks exactly like the brochure did so I must say I am pleased. Also at Home Depot they mixed the paint and then dabbed a bit on my color chip and it was an exact match, if your paint doesn't match your chip have them start over!!!

Posted by: Kay Smith (kaysmith@geocities.com) on Sun, May 21, 00 at 20:25

I used Behr paint to sponge paint my room. I followed the directions with the glaze. It looks pretty good, but if I were to do it again, I would mix in one more part of glaze.

Posted by: Patti (avlas@earthlink.net) on Mon, May 22, 00 at 1:48

I finished off the painting last night (LATE!), I sponged the contrast color over the base and that room is beautiful! And I am SORE!
My Electrician(sp) walked in today and said "Wow you're wallpaper looks great" Ahem, it's paint I told him :)
Still no complaints about Behr paint.

Posted by: intrepid816 (intrepid816@mindspring.com) on Tue, May 23, 00 at 15:20

I have to agree with everyone who likes Behr. Our house was painted shortly before we bought it but they used the cheapest available flat paint. I've almost completely redone it with Behr and had excellent results. Very little paint odor, quick to dry and excellent coverage. I've been painting my houses for years and I have NEVER found a paint that truly covers as well as it should in one coat. Two coats always works better and lasts longer whether it's interior or exterior. I also tried the Ace paint on a small project last year (I was in a hurry and they were closest) but I won't do it again. Paint was too thin, dripped all over everything and the coverage was very poor.
I've also done several faux finished with the Behr but none with the glaze although I plan to do that soon in one room. I've thinned with water and like Patti, I've had several people who thought it was wallpaper!!!

However, I do have several friends/acquaintances who specialize in exterior painting and none of them will use anything but Sherwin Williams exterior paint unless the customer absolutely insists on something else.

Posted by: Who (what@where.com) on Tue, May 23, 00 at 16:08

I just used Behr paint to do a colorwashing on my LR. It turned out great. I did have to put two coats on for the base color b/c it was a dark brown and the walls were white. When I did the washing it was quick and easy. They dried very quickly and looked great. Good luck w/ your project!

Posted by: DJ (burtny@frontiernet.net) on Mon, Jun 5, 00 at 13:41

My husband and I have repainted many rooms in the past and have found that the coverage of the new paint depends a lot on the paint that was used before. If you're covering an old paint that could have been oil based - like our front door was -- it took more than one coat of a water based latex to cover it. And a satin finish paint did not cover a harder semi-gloss in one coat, either.
We've used Glidden and Benj Moore in the past with different results, but it always depended on what was on the wall before we painted. We just selected a Behr paint for the kitchen to cover a builder's cheap whitewash. I had heard from friends that it was a good quality paint. We'll see!

Posted by: andrea (andrea.taylor-reeves@information4u.com) on Mon, Jun 5, 00 at 17:52

We used Behr paint in my daughter's bedroom. It was previously a VERY DARK blue and we wanted to change it to a very light powder blue. We used the Behr one coat semi-gloss. We were very skeptical that something so light could cover something so dark in just one coat. We did end up having to put a second coat on because we got the tiniest little bit of show-through, but I was still impressed that we got as much coverage as we did with just the first coat. And the end result is just beautiful!
We intend to use Behr paints for our whole house

Posted by: maggie (magton@buffnet.net) on Mon, Jul 10, 00 at 22:54

PITTSBURG PAINT is the best I have used but it's hard to find . I used the "white rock" color in my bathroom 10 years ago under the most uneven deplorable wall finish conditions and it's still looks great ! The color also has a great depth to it's pigment .

Posted by: barbara (newagent99@hotmail.com) on Tue, Jul 11, 00 at 9:21

I think behrs flat paint is fine, but their shiney (semi-gloss, and satin) are among the worse i've used. It streaks. It doesn't cover, It splatters.
Also since Behr is a Home Depot, forget about using any special color matches. The people there, in general, just aren't experienced enought to make matches.
I have a strong preference for either Ben MOore or Pittsburgh Paints.

Posted by: Brianna (bld@bigfoot.com) on Tue, Jul 11, 00 at 10:07

I used Behr satin white in my kitchen and color-washed over it with a light blue - it looked ok. Took two coats of satin white to cover the old paint. At Home Depot, they match by punching a code into the computer so the match should come out OK. One of the guys there told me that if you need to use a Behr swatch (not Glidden, etc.) on Behr paint for an exact match - otherwise it may be slightly off. Also, I chose the one-coat white to use as a base for the blue (to be mixed in) and he said that we need to use the regular white instead of the one-coat, as I would not get an exact match of the blue with the one-coat. Apparently the one-coat has an extra dye or something in it that would make the color slightly off. All in all, I am satisfied with Behr although I have to admit I don't paint that much so I don't have much experience with other brands. I know two professional painters who both swear by Sherwin Williams.

Posted by: mammajo (martha@pdq.net) on Wed, Jul 12, 00 at 19:32

Wow...what a hodge podge mix of answers. I'm throwing in my 2 cents worth for good measure. I think Behr is good paint. I think the Home Depot by my house does a very good job of matching paint. I had them match some exterior paint that was 2 yrs old and they did a good job. I think that the results from painting all depends on many factors, including but not limited to: How old is the paint you are covering, what the humidity level is when you paint, how long the paint has been sitting on the shelf at your local store, and who does the mixing at the store. I've used alot of Behr paint and Sherwin Williams paint (funny I didnt' seen that name in any of the previous posts) and I dont see much difference in coverage or quality. Actually I had some pealing with the SW paint and was afraid it was all going to peal off .. but I think it had something to do with too much dust on newly drywalled surfaces. I've had SW people tell it it would take 2 weeks before they could custom match a color for me. I can walk into Home Depot any time..24 hours a day and someone there will match whatever I need. Maybe I am just lucky to live close to a very nice HD.
What ever it's worth.

Posted by: Gladcat (gladcats@myway.com) on Tue, Jul 18, 00 at 22:46

I'm right in the midst of painting the entire interior of our new house, and have gone with Behr paints (combo of Consumer Reports, proximity to a Home Depot, etc.)
Observations: 1. I much prefer the semi-gloss and to the flatter finishes -- much less spattering, better performance, (but, I am biased to a reflective finish, too...)
2. I second the earlier comments re: chips to wall: I am NOT pleased with the match of gallon color to the paint chip samples -- seems much worse than other paints I've used in the past. Home Depot does match here, but only one of the older fellows can really tinker much. They DO take full gallons back for full credit (pretty much no questions asked!) so if you do a quick test and it's a bomb, it's not so painful.
3. Had great liking of sheen and colors of some Sears paints in the past, but found them to fade much worse than other brands, got tired of repainting.
4. I've found the coverage to be fine, but I was assuming a two coat minimum on freshly primed wallboard. Haven;t had any of the problems some comments mentioned.
Enjoy!

Posted by: Kathy (klm3@home.com) on Wed, Jul 19, 00 at 8:31

I used to go to a fairly pricey local chain (Duron) for all my paint but recently decided to try Behr. I was so pleased with the first room that I bought paint for the rest of the house (all interior). I've tried inexpensive paints before and was never happy with how they went on but the Behr paint was pretty close or the same as the expensive Duron.
I did have a problem with one color. I'd selected a deep cream but on the walls it looked like a greenish yellow. I thought maybe it was the original paint color showing through---a very pale greenish white. Even after 3 coats on one wall, it still looked greenish.

Finally, I found the original chip and compared it to the dried paint still in the container (not the paint on the wall)----and it was definitely the wrong color. So i took it back and the guy checked the pigment "recipe"---it was wrong! Somehow the computer messed up. So he remixed it and it looked right, so i took it home. (Got a full refund for 2 gallons of the wrong color.)

First, I primed the walls with Kilz just to be sure that green wasn't coming through at all. Then i rolled the new color on and it was great---pretty much covered in one coat but i did go back and do a second coat. I did the entire 13' x 15' room with one gallon! I had 1/2 cup left over.

All the other colors I picked looked great and covered really well, though i did prime the walls first. I think priming really helps to get better coverage out of the finish paint.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC