In April of 2002 we purchased approx. 2700 sq. ft. of wood flooring Beaverhome.com, a company out of Niagara Falls, New York. The flooring was called Trinity Ipe, commonly known as Brazilian Walnut.
At the time they took the order we made it crystal clear to them that we were working on a deadline – It was essential that they deliver the material by the delivery date we were requesting. I told them that if there was even a chance they could not make the date I was requesting, to tell me right then and there, so I could go elsewhere for my order, and then send them business someday when my schedule was not so tight.
Time and time again during that first phone call, the salesperson Sean re-assured me that he had checked and double checked the production times with the management, and that there would be no problem making our requested delivery date, and that they would even put the delivery date in writing for us, which we asked them to do.
You know what happened next, of course. They missed the date by a month, causing us to close late on our home and move into temporary quarters, since we had sold our old home.
All phone calls to the company were met with shifting blame, messages not returned, and angry accusations at us for not ordering our floors sooner (never mind the fact they fell all over themselves to promise us our order would be delivered on time the day we placed our
$13,757.00 order!). Every time I asked to speak with the owner of the company, I was told he was "not in."
Other highlights include:
1. Shorting us in the shipment by almost 200 square feet, and then arguing with us over the credit amount for the unshipped product down to a refund for only 40 square feet. The topper is that they never even refunded those 40 square feet we finally agreed to!
2. Promising a refund of $250.00 worth of bull nosing. This was also never done.
3. Pieces of the engineered floor would delaminate in our hands as we removed them from the box.
4. Many of the boards that were installed are cracking sharply, sometimes as long as the length of the board! Your sock will catch these cracks as you walk and we realize now that we can never allow an infant to crawl on the floors of our home and not worry about splinters!
WAIT! IT GETS BETTER!!!
5. The finish is COMING OFF the floors now if you apply regular low-stick tape to the finish. Several areas of the house have long "stripes" of missing finish from when the installer removed the low-adhesive tape left on overnight during installation.
6. The floor is BUCKLING UP in several places in the house, blocking the opening and closing of doors and leading to embarrassment when showing friends our "Dream Home." This buckling is caused by expansion that should have been prevented when we allowed the wood to acclimate in the house for a period of 7 to 10 days before installation, per the manufacturers instructions. To date, we have experienced as much as 3 inches lateral spread, despite the proper acclimation!!! This floor is fighting desperately to de-install itself!
Our professional installer followed the manufacturers gluing spread rate and nailing schedule to the letter. He is an installer with years and years of experience, and told us frankly that it is the worst quality he has ever seen in all of his years as an installer. He has since summed up Beaverhome.com's product as "Fraudulent." (I should point out here that the installer had nothing to gain by us by making this frank appraisal of the floor quality. He is not looking to sell us something different instead – As a matter of fact, I would guess he wishes he had never done this install in the first place, since the quality of the wood we gave him to work with was so shoddy).
7. At this moment, several areas of the house have bubbles in the floor, or have had boards removed that had popped completely out from their neighboring boards. There is broken boards, dried glue, sawdust, and splinters at each of these locations, and the furniture is being moved out of these rooms and into other rooms for temporary storage, rendering those rooms useless as well.
We are in shock at this situation! Beaverhome.com stopped talking to us after promising to send us a refund check for the missing items in #1, and #2. Subsequent e-mails to them have gone unanswered.
We are now faced with having to RIP OUT the bad Beaverhome flooring in the house and replace it entirely! Financially, we have lost the cost of the entire amount of our order (nearly $14,000.00), also the $7000.00 spent to install the faulty flooring, and as much as another $20,000.00 to rip out the bad wood from Beaverhome and replace it. Over forty thousand dollars.
You can see now why I feel maybe it would have been better to never have received the product at all… we would not be out the costs to install it, the heartache and irritation of living with it, and the costs we face to move out of the house (again, into temporary quarters) have the floors all ripped out, and start over with a new wood floor from a reputable company that (gasp!) stands behind their work!
THIS COMPANY IS AN INSULT TO DECENT BUSINESS PRACTICES, AND EVERYONE WHO WORKS THERE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES, AND THEIR EMPLOYER. THIS COMPANY HAS DISPLAYED AN APPALLING LACK OF RESPECT FOR HARDWORKING AMERICANS WITH THEIR "SCREW-YOU, IT’S NOT OUR FAULT, BUYER BEWARE, EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF" ATTITUDES.
After reading this, tell everyone you know of our experiences. The small comfort we have left is that we might prevent someone else from having to endure an encounter with these sophomoric, irresponsible individuals who pretend that they are running a “business” when, in fact, it is really just a junior high-school quality sideshow sham with a good website.